I believe in change

Kiyana - Brooklyn, New York

I believe in change

What I believe is that change is about to happen. I believe that we as American people will soon have our first black president. I honestly did not think it would happen. When I first turned eighteen I was so excited because I just became legal. I would be able to buy cigarettes, vote, and do a host of other things that eighteen-year-old young adults would do. I had just missed the election because I turned eighteen in April 2005 and the election was November 2004. I told my mother that as soon as I hit twenty-one and the election for a new president was I up would vote. But to my surprise a former first lady and a black senator were competing.

In the beginning I did not pay too much attention to the election, which was until I actually heard Barack Obama speak. I felt uplifted and right then and there I knew he was about his business and he was for the cause. A lot of people had animosity towards him just because of the color of his skin. Martin Luther King said it “I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of “interposition” and “nullification”—one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join with little white boys and little white girls as sisters and brothers.” The sad part the dream is not coming true because if it were then people would give Barack the credit he deserves.

I believe that in the end Barack Obama will become the first black president. While he’s in office I believe that he will try his best to fix the mistakes the former president has caused. Some say that Obama may be assassinated. I can believe that because a lot of people don’t want to see him succeed. It has been said that some people are not going to vote for him because he’s black. But if people have been listening to the debate and following it, then they would know that his mom is white. Which would make him half black. People’s opinions shouldn’t have anything to do with his skin color. A person’s choice should really come down to who is going to do right by this country and how will we as the people benefit. I believe in change and it’s about time that it happens. We as the people are long over do for the change. Barack Obama is going to be the new president. I can’t wait until election night to see who’ going to be the last man standing. The election is about change and that’s what I believe in. I rock with Barack.