Evolution of a Critic

Lindsey - streamwood, Illinois
Themes: science

It all started with the dinosaurs.

On a long ride home a normal conversation with friends turned into a mind blowing philosophical adventure. We graced the surface of complex topics spanning from the vastness of the universe to the creation of earth and eventually to the existence of dinosaurs. I really had to stretch my mind and imagination to contemplate the existence of the universe but accepted the fact that there really is no way to actually find the answers to all my questions about the mysterious ways of the universe. But the idea of dinosaurs suddenly blew my mind.

Of course there are fossils, illustrations, movies that seemingly prove their existence. Yet for some strange reason, the fact that these monstrous creatures ever existed did not compute in my mind. What more proof did I need to believe? Bones should have been considered good enough evidence, but at that moment they weren’t. Then, I saw a broader picture. One filled with instant believers. A picture where one piece of evidence means a point is proven. Then that picture shattered. I was no longer one of those people. I was now a skeptic.

From the moment I walked out the womb information was shoved down my throat. I wasn’t given time to taste, savor, or question. Just told to learn what I’m told because it’s the truth. For most of my life I had just accepted everything for what it was said to be. If it made sense, then I assumed it to be true. But after my prehistoric epiphany my whole world changed.

I now believe in the art of research. Questioning, searching, and exploring new realms to seek out the truth. Anything and everything I’m told I now question. I will never truly believe anything unless I research, discover or uncover the truth myself. No matter the topic, from mathematical theories to the existence of dinosaurs, I doubt, question, and reason until I’m fully convinced. And when I express my doubts of something considered a common truth, only one question is needed to be asked, “But how do you know?” Generally a defined response isn’t given to me, leaving me smug with the thought that another person now probably questions their knowledge. And the cycle repeats, as it has since the dawn of time. Whenever that was.