I believe that laughter shows that there is hope in every situation

Kristen - Shelton, Connecticut

How many diabetics does it take to change a light bulb? None, they will just use the light from their pumps. (George Whittier) Ok so that joke might not strike you as funny, but I personally think it is hilarious. Not because I have a strange sense of humor (ok maybe just a little) but because I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes t the age of 15. Being a diabetic, not every day is a piece of sugar-free cake. Quite the contrary, actually. I have my highs and my lows (another diabetic joke!), my good days and my bad, but the way that I judge my day is how I deal with it. Or rather how many times I joke about it. I believe that laughter shows that there is hope in every situation.

After I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes, I suddenly felt like I wasn’t a normal teenager anymore, although my family will argue the contrary. Sitting in a hospital bed and having doctors explain that you have an increased chance of developing diabetic neuropathy, kidney failure, blindness and heart disease later in life doesn’t exactly cheer a person up. But instead of letting my situation get to me, which I could have easily done, I knew it was my job to find the “funny” in this situation. I needed to make this whole ordeal brighter for everyone, especially me.

My personal favorite joke involves what happened before I was diagnosed. I had all the classic symptoms of diabetes. I ate and drank everything in my house, literally. My mom went grocery shopping the day of my diagnosis because there was nothing left in my entire house. Despite eating and drinking more than any normal person should, I also lost 15 pounds in the two weeks prior to my diagnosis. I had to double up my belts, just so my pants wouldn’t fall down. So I began to call it my own personal “celebrity fad diet.”

I can’t imagine my life not being funny. It’s an important part of who I am. More than anything, I love to make people laugh. I also enjoy laughing at myself. If you can’t laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at?

You can find the humor in any situation. I did. It’s easy to dwell on the negatives, but it makes you that much stronger when you can find the good. Laughter can bring hope to a hopeless world. I believe that laughter shows that there is hope in every situation.