Hard Work

Raymond - Cypress, Texas
Themes: sports

When you think of the word sports, what is the first thought to pop into your head? Sports, for me, have provided a way to live, laugh and enjoy life. My basis of thought stems from Willie Shoemaker’s words, “Desire is key to the success of any athlete.” Not only is desire key to success in sports, but also in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I have been engaged into the sports world since birth. Around the age of six I began playing soccer. As time passed I participated in many sports such as baseball, basketball, and football. Although I may appear to be a true athlete, I quit because I felt I didn’t have the natural ability to win. Now, as a high school tennis player I have been thoroughly tested.

In a tennis tournament outside Beaumont, I competed against kids all over Texas. After seeing competition at its finest, the light switch in my head had finally turned on. A new reality was forming all around me; disco lights flashing violently. It was at that moment I realized the essence of success. These talented tennis players had ability, but so did I. Where they differed was that their light switches were turned on earlier than mine. I was lacking the tenacity that these players possessed. Now I became hungry for that talent level. Instead of sulking from my two losses, I reached a more intense energy level. I set my goal high, to win the next tournament. Even though it would be hard, my success would come from pure desire and will to work hard. The last step in my search for success would come from a personal coach. Instead of needing my light switch to turn on, I would inspire the other players to turn on their switches.

One tennis tournament taught me that success is not from the natural talent, but from the input I give in order to achieve that higher output. So, success is just as simple as a math

equation. The results I get back (y) are dependent on the amount of work I put in (x), plus the consistent natural ability. This desire provides me with the success I yearn for, but also the ability to yield healthy habits. By working hard I will stay optimistic that I can reach my goal the next time I try, even if I didn’t reach it at that moment. This concept is also like a math problem; take my results from before, add it with more hard work, and my next result will be greater. With my new desire, I will be able to reach success and keep healthy habits along the way.