When and Where

Madison - Cypress, Texas

There is a time and place for everything. This is an old Latin proverb that I have heard many times, but never really stopped to think about. It is printed and said almost every day without much thought. Most people do not realize that this old proverb has been around since the sixteenth century. Like most proverbs, it can be applied to almost any situation. I think the most important and common situation where this proverb would apply would be in a social setting. A recent event comes to mind.

One day during class, my teacher was very upset with our unruly behavior and he began, a bit loudly, to reprimand the class. Because this was out of character for him, I nervously began to giggle. It was one of those times when the harder you try to stop laughing, the worse it gets. I knew at the time it was not “the right time or the place”, but I just could not control my laughter. My teacher was not happy with me, and I had to apologize for my disrespect.

Personal displays of affection pop into my mind instantly when I think about things that are only appropriate at certain times. The halls are certainly not the right time or place for some of the affection I have seen. When I see some couples, I think to myself that they are such a cute and classy couple, but then there are some couples that I just wonder what goes through their mind. It is as if they neglect the fact that there are other people in the halls. My drill team instructor has always inspired me to be a classy, young lady, and I thank her for this because she reminds me every day that there is a time and place for everything and that I should conduct myself with integrity and respect appropriate to my surroundings.

I do not think that I will ever hear or read this proverb again without thinking about where it came from, how long we have been using it or how it applies to my everyday life. I have come to the conclusion that this proverb can be summed up with one word. Respect. I think if I try to use my best judgment at all times, good qualities are bound to shine and reveal a great sense of respect from within me. When I shine, I feel that I have lived by what I consider to be one of the greatest proverbs ever written; there is a time and place for everything. This I believe.