Jeff - Cypress, Texas

This I Believe Essay

“You’re looking for players whose name on the front of the sweater is more important than the one on the back. – Herb Brooks (Miracle)

I believe in the word team. A team is more than one individual performing an action, a group of people who care for one another; support each other and have a commitment to be there for each other. There is no “I” in word team for a reason. It would not be a team if it were about ones self. This is what I believe in.

Ever since I was six years old I have been on one kind of hockey team or another; whether it was roller or ice hockey. But when it comes to hockey in general there can not be just one player that does it all, it doesn’t work. In all team sports there are always one or two kids who stand out above the rest. Usually, but not always these kids feel they have a better chance at winning if they do most of the work themselves but almost always this ends up hurting the team in some form or another. This is where the team comes into play. In hockey there are five other guys on the ice and they are there to help and support one another. They make their decisions based on each others actions and as one unit working together.

On my ‘team’ we have those two or three guys who think they are above the rest and have been doing exactly what they feel is in their best interest and what is best for them as an individual. Here it is two months after we have been together and have had practices three times a week; I am slowly watching my team deteriorate before my eyes. Currently there are twenty guys on the roster and we have yet to have a commitment from all twenty players to show up at one single practice. In fact, there are several guys that not only play AAA hockey but are also playing high school football. When we started our season the priority was hockey first then football, but that too has shifted in reverse order. What’s wrong with that picture?

I guess I would answer that question by stating; that when a person becomes a part of a team, they are no longer one person making a decision for themselves. In my case or team there are nineteen other people depending on me to have the same commitment to the team now as I gave at the beginning of the year. I believe that when you commit yourself to a team, there is no gray area in commitment. You are either fully committed 100% or you are not.