Megan - Cypress, Texas
Themes: change

I believe that change is for the better. Growing up, change was something I was accustomed to, or at least that was what I thought. It happened rarely to me, my life was pretty basic. I had only changed schools once in my life. My parents had the same jobs for as long as I could remember. Nothing extra-ordinary or exciting happened to me, until eighth grade. That year my life changed dramatically. It was a few months into my eighth grade year at South Shore Christian Academy when my parents dropped the two most feared words a child can hear, “We’re moving.” Those two simple words when placed together strike fear into the hearts of even the bravest of child.

I will never forget the delight I experienced. I thought it was going to be a great adventure, moving halfway across the United States. I was seriously mistaken. I never took into account the friendships I would be losing, the family I would be leaving, and my sense of comfort I had from living in one place for so long would be gone. All I could think about was getting a fresh start. A chance to become a new and improved me.

The following weeks were torture. Waiting for our house to sell, slowly packing up memories, and saying my goodbyes to friends. It was one of the most painful experiences I ever had to go through. Finally, after what felt like forever, our house sold. It took us four days to make the trip from Massachusetts to Texas, the longest car ride I have ever had to live through. Moving to Texas affected my life more than I thought it would. I had gone to a private school all my life, and I had never experienced public school life. It was a culture shock for me my first day. Everyone looked so much older and they all dressed in clothes so expensive and were so materialistic. I was instantly scared and wished I could go back to my old school, back to where I was popular and nobody cared about all these worthless possessions like phones and Coach purses.

Thankfully, I was able to make some friends easily and after that it wasn’t as painful. My life slowly slipped into a comfortable pace and I began to settle in. Thankfully, I moved in my eighth grade year so I was able to go to high school and make all new friends and I was no longer the new kid with a weird accent. Although I have made more friends than I can count and I actually consider this my home now, my parents do not feel the same.

This hurricane break they dropped the same two words that challenged my life before. We are moving again, this time to Maine. Another state another experience. I will be able to live to tell the tale of my new life. I am accustomed to change now, and I understand it is truly for the better. My life here was an experience I will never be able to forget. I made friendships that I hope will last forever. I learned so much about my beliefs and myself. I know that wherever I go I will have my Eternal Comfort with me to make it bearable. So I do believe that change is for the better, I may have thought that it was not due to my circumstances at one point, but I discovered that it was for my own good. I learned that you should not take what you have for granted because your life can change in an instant. And whatever happens, it is supposed to happen according to God’s divine plan.