Freedom is a Virtue

Kristy - Houston, Texas
Themes: freedom

I believe that freedom is being taken for granted. This is a common trend in the nation that holds independence and liberty. America is exceedingly spoiled with materialistic items and advance technology that citizens tend to forget that other countries face everyday problems such as hunger or the lack of clothing they need during harsh weather.

When I was in middle school about three years ago I met a very outspoken and determined eight year old boy from Uganda who had just escape from a twenty-three year war still going on until this day. He told me stories of how his parents were abducted and killed in front of him because they wouldn’t cooperate with “The Rebels,” a group made up of African Americans who resorted to abducting children and indoctrinating them into their ranks. All the family he has left is his little brother who was five years younger then him. He is now a father and mother to his three year old brother in a foster home in America and with having little to no food or clothing he still manages to be grateful for his freedom. He reminds his little brother everyday that no matter how difficult and complicated life is, “at least they are free.”

Being part of the working middle class I admit I haven’t fully appreciated the freedom that was fought for me by righteous men. As Thomas Campbell points out, “the patriot’s blood is the seed of the Freedom’s tree.” Soldiers have fought and died so that future generations are guaranteed liberty, in the past the citizens in the United States have been so grateful for their freedom being reminded everyday by their fathers and granddads that have fought in past wars. As the years progress, freedom isn’t fully valued by everyone because of the fact that we couldn’t comprehend the pain and hard work that our forefathers and ancestors have suffered through, we were just born with freedom therefore we tend to take it for granted.

Freedom is a virtue; it is a reward that our past ancestors have fought long and hard for through combat and war. I believe that freedom is a privilege and once it’s taken away from us it will be tough to gain it back.