Small Action, Big Effect

Devyn - sammamish, Washington

Small Action, Big Effect

Ever since I was young, I have loved animals and helping them. I can always remember a time when I was helping someone or something. So when cruelty, unfairness, or pain is brought to innocent animals, I find it most offensive. That is why I have always lived along the thought of treat all creatures with love, no matter how big or small. One time on New Years Eve, my cat caught a bat and left it on the door step. Seeing that bat there all helpless and in such misery, took the New Years Eve spirit out of me. Unable to resist my nature, I took the poor animal into my home to nurse it back to health. I didn’t care at all that he looked all mangled and ugly. I didn’t even care about the fact that my parents said that he was a bat and they were the number one carriers of rabies and he would bite me. All I cared about was getting him back to normal. I thought it was my responsibility, since it had been my cat who did this to him. Once the bat was a part of my night, I just couldn’t resist naming him. Chimmy was the name I picked. Yes, that would be Chimmy as in a chimmy changa. The whole night I kept him in a shoe box lined with tissues, so he would be perfectly comfortable in a time of suffering. I felt so bad for the little critter that I attempted feeding him water out of an eye dropper. Yes, my mom thought I would get bitten and infected with rabies, but she always over exaggerates, so I went right on ahead with it. After a few days, he didn’t seem to be getting any better, and helping him was taking up a majority of my time. So I contacted a woman I found in the phone book who specializes with bats. Finally I convinced my dad to take Chimmy up there, so someone who knew what they were doing could help him. I knew it would at least be more than I was doing and Chimmy could get the help he needed. That night, the compassion and kindness I put into my effort to help poor Chimmy really reflected the philosophy that I live by. I just can’t stand to see someone, or in this case, a bat, suffering. It’s too hard on me to know that I didn’t try anything to save what could have been saved. There have been many times before where I have done this for other animals like mice and bugs, which I utterly hate. Helping others in a hard part of their lives has always been a part of my nature. This goes to show how I treat all creatures, big or small, with the sympathy that I would any other thing.