Simple Acts of Kindness

Chelsi - Mill Creek, Washington

I believe a kind deed could make a difference in a certain person’s life at a certain moment in time. I was at a church camp in Salt Lake, Utah. We were in a big congregation and we were being spoken to with a serious vibe in the full-size room. This speaker looked around the area and she said, in a gentle tone, “One day I was at church, and this lady was looking really depressed but I didn’t really think about it and didn’t want to bother her by saying anything to make her feel uncomfortable, so I just went along the day and when I came home from church. I had a bad feeling that this lady I saw was having a really bad day needed to be comforted; I didn’t want to listen to this prompting, so I went along with my day. Later, I had this feeling again to go see this woman. I finally realized I should do something I went to go make some brownies for this woman who I barely knew. I called around and I got the woman’s address and wrapped up the brownies and got in the car and left my house. Right when I got up to the door of this woman’s house I knocked a couple times thinking that she didn’t hear my soft tap. After I waited for a while I starting thinking she wasn’t home; so I started back towards my car then I heard the door opening. This woman looked like she had seen a ghost and looked extremely fatigued. I then spoke saying, ‘Hello, I just wanted to leave you some brownies and hope that you are having a great day and I’m here for you if you ever need to talk to somebody.’ She thanked me shortly then shut the door quickly. I didn’t really think about what her real problem was or how big it was but I went to my car then felt like I did something good for this woman. About 5 years down the road I received a letter in the mail that had been written by the same woman who I left brownies for. I said, ‘Dear kind woman, I just had to thank you for the brownies you left me five years back. I was in a very bad situation with being a widow and a single mother and I was about to take my life the day you came by my house on that Sunday afternoon. You made me feel reassured about my life and then believed someone actually cared. The whole reason I am here today is because you came by my house and gave me those simple treats. I thank you with all my heart and I hope you feel like you did something generous, because you did.’ After I read this letter I got teary eyed and was extremely grateful for that feeling to visit her that day.” I feel like the simplest acts of kindness can make the biggest impact in a certain somebody’s life.