Inherent goodness

Lee - DeLand, Florida

I believe in the inherent goodness of people. People are amazing creatures in their capacity to love and come to the aid of those in need. I believe that everyone is a good person. People can make bad choices, they might say things that hurt other people or do things that they regret having done, but that does not change the basic goodness in them. It is so easy in these days of fear and strife to succumb to pessimism and cynicism. When the news everywhere shows us terror and kidnapping and murder it is hard to put trust in our fellow man. When doubt and insecurity rules our daily lives it’s hard to listen to that little inner voice that reminds us to take the time to care for one another, but that’s just when people rise to the occasion.

Whenever you need it the most there is someone standing there, holding out their hand to help you. The proof of it is all around us. There are people who dedicate their entire lives to feeding the hungry, to clothing the poor, to bringing medicine to places where no one in their right mind would try and go. Every day around us there are those who faithfully donate their used items to those in need, and who volunteer their time to help support the institutions that make all of this possible. There are those who adopt and foster children, and those who care for unwanted or rescued animals. If you can think of something good to do for someone else then you can bet that someone is out there somewhere doing it.

There have been a lot of people to call me niave, many who think that I’m just looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Many more, I’m sure, would agree with them. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that if I am wrong, then I don’t want to be right. A rose colored world is happier and more peaceful than one tinted with distrust and doubt. Niavete might help bring joy to that little voice inside you when you drop some change into an outstretched cup. It can take any form, from handing out a bottle of water to a thirsty pan-handler, to buying candy to help support local kids groups. The rose color just helps us remember that we’re all in this together, and without each other getting through any of this would be a lot harder. Taking a minute out of a busy schedule to be niave can help soothe a troubled soul. This I believe.