I believe in horses

Sarah - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe in horses. Being a white girl raised in a caring, supportive family, people wouldn’t think that I rely on the unconditional love that a horse provides. I believe that horses have saved my life.

When freshman year started it all went downhill. I slipped into an unbreakable trance of depression. My only real joy was my escape to the barn.

I remember many cold rainy days, where I would be sitting in my room, crying, convinced my life was worthless and wanting to end it. My only escape from these horrible feelings were my trips to the barn. I could forget my self-hatred and concentrate on Sid. We have a great relationship and I love our bond. When I am jumping, Sid requires all my attention, he won’t let me focus on my problems. If I do start thinking negatively he will refuse the fence. That will startle me out of my trance and make me focus again.

I believe that the bond between me and all the horses I have worked with is a wonderful thing. Every horse has taught me something important. Dakota has taught me to be patient and move slowly. He has taught me to be gentle and to listen to what he is trying to tell me. From Lady Bug I have learned to forgive and forget. She has shown me that even if you have been abused, or neglected, you can love and trust again. From Sid I have learned the most important lesson of all. Sid was abused before he came to our barn. He is extremely scared of horses approaching him but he is still a great pasture mate to all the horses. He is too big for his own good, and he is an odd, and not too attractive color,. Besides all that he is extremely loving, trusting, funny, and a great jumper. Once he trusts you he will attempt to jump almost anything.

I believe that horses have saved my life. They have given me an incredible sense of love and comfort. The horses have taught me that it’s ok to love, and trust. They have done so much more then give me exercise. With a horse no jump is too high. I know that Sid trusts me and he will try and please me. I know that he will always be there when I am sad. And since he is a dork he will always be a goober and give kisses to cheer me up.