Simple is Key to Smiling

Kelsey - Knoxville, Tennessee

I believe in finding happiness in the simplest things. I believe that even the yellow dandelions carry the most beautiful colors. I believe in sitting in the greenest grass and lying on my back looking up at the bright blue sky and white fluffy clouds. I believe in smiling when the wind nips at my nose and blows leaves into my face. I believe in playing hide and go seek at night with my boyfriend and laughing till my stomach hurts. I believe in stomping around in puddles in my rain boots and then swinging on my elementary school swing set after laying in the sand with my best friend. I believe that finding simple things to smile at are the best forms of happiness.

I remember sitting in my high school lunch period around September my sophomore year. I sat there with my head on my hand and listened to the girls around me brag about how they had received roses from their current sweethearts. I let out a sigh. In less than a month my boyfriend and I would be dating a year. He was one of the sweetest boys I’d ever met, but needless to say, he was less than romantic. The one time he tried, he ended up knocking my Valentine’s Day present of a dozen roses onto the car floor. Water from the vase spilt all over the carpet, and his face went red. That was during our freshman year, and since then, he hadn’t tried too hard to keep the spark between us alive.

As I sat there enveloped in my friends’ conversations, I learned they’d received roses for absolutely no reason. Lovely, I had been dating my boyfriend for almost a year, and never, not even once, did I receive something out of the blue. I thought about that all day. After school we hugged each other routinely.

“Why don’t you ever do anything spontaneous for me?” I asked him.

“I don’t know what you mean.” He responded with a mechanical voice typical to that of a ten-year-old.

“All of my other friends get things from their boyfriends for no reason. How come you don’t do that for me?” I started pouting.

He let out a sigh, “Look, I’m just not good at those things.”

I nodded in defeat, “Okay.”

Of course I was upset. I really wanted him to say ‘I’ll try harder,’ but no. I went home that night and tried to shake the oddly disappointing feeling as I fell asleep.

The next day, as I walked into the band room, there stood my boyfriend, Dennis, with a cup of freshly picked flowers from his mom’s garden. I don’t think I stopped smiling at all tat day.

Since then, I’m infatuated with all things simple. It’s the simple things that make my life more memorable and keep a smile on my face and laughter in my heart.