Reading Has Endless Rewards

Ashlee - Woolwich Township, New Jersey

“Reading Has Endless Rewards”

Have you ever really stopped to think about how big the world is? It truly is an immense melting pot occupied by billions of types of each species. Walking down the hallway in my school, I find it weird that I see someone new each day. Now, my school is a pretty big school with nearly four hundred students in each of its four classes. Maybe by the end of the year, after one hundred and eighty days, I will have seen every students’ face, but until then, the overlooked fact that one, as a communicating person, can meet a new person each day of his/her live is completely engrossing to me. And still, having met another soul each day will not bring us to know every person that shares the earth with us. It almost frustrates me that it is simply impossible to know everybody, but, fortunately, there is an alternative: reading. I have met a little bit of everyone through books. It is a simple pastime with a complex outcome, one that I deem very positive.

Another of the complexities of the outcome of reading simple: Speaking! Let’s not forget that the way we communicate our thoughts goes hand in hand with the way we present and carry ourselves. Your thoughts are a reflection of who you are, right? With that said, I feel much more dignified when I use the word ingratiating in a sentence than I do using pretty or appealing. Of course, ingratiating is not a word I use everyday, but one must admit, it has a ring of sophistication. And guess where more “sophisticated” words are easily accessible: books! I have been reading since I could pronounce words on my own, and many of the additions to my broad vocabulary come from the books I read. Yes, as children we are taught the necessary words by our parents: yes, no, happy, sad, big, small. However, after making it a habit of reading books (all kinds of books!), big and small gradually become massive and diminutive. Not to mention it is not the full responsibility of our parents to make us dignified, worldly young adults, but our own responsibilities, as well. So read. Make it easier for yourself!

Aside from enhancing speaking and communicating skills, reading provides alternate solutions to varying situations. I may decide to skip out on meals in order to lose weight, but after reading about how Susie Q lost twenty-five pounds just by eating healthy, I resort to eating a healthy breakfast instead; a whole new solution without having searched the internet!

Reading has not only introduced me to interesting resolutions, but to some different kinds of people, also. As mentioned, it is physically impossible to meet each individual person, but reading has allowed me to get to know some new types of people. There are not many snobby rich girls in my school, but after reading the Gossip Girl series by Cecily von Ziegesar, I am eternally grateful. This serves as an example. Through reading, I was able to live the life of an obsessive, snobby teenaged girl without actually being obsessive or snobby. Sometimes it is fun to step into another world and live like another, completely different person, so open up a book, and surprise yourself! For me, reading is not only a belief, but a necessary tool for the advancement of each individual.