Importance of Education

Paula - Riverside, California

Importance of Higher Education

Ever since I entered school, I could not fathom the real importance of getting an education. I only knew that school will teach me how to read, write, and make friends. But as I began my high school years, I started to find the answers to my questions. I believe that education is a stepping stone to build a career. It shapes personality into its full potential. And most of all, it is the gateway to a high paying job and comfortable lifestyle.

Earning a degree is evidently important in today’s economy where the prices on primary necessities are sky rocketing. A good pay check is essential in building a better future. I want to be able to travel around the world. I want to give the best life to my future family by providing them all the necessities in life. I want to have money to build the house of my dreams and own a nice car. Lastly, I want to give back to society by donating money to charity, or even provide scholarship to those who are eager to pursue their studies. Employers are looking for more experienced and well trained candidates. So by being a college graduate, I have a better chance of obtaining a high paying job, and eventually lead to a more comfortable life.

When I started processing my college applications, I was overwhelmed by the big numbers the financial advisor showed me. But I did not let the heavy price discourage me from continuing my studies. I work at a department store so that I can support my studies. I knew that if I stop coming to school, my future would be like the unemployed people in the Philippines. Those people hardly get by with their everyday lives. And since they can not find a high paying job to feed their families, they rise early in the morning to collect garbage at a local restaurant. They separate the left over food from other waste materials, which will be re-heated and sold in the street.

Since I was a child, my parents taught me that education is the only wealth that can never be stolen, which is why I believe in investing a good education. Even though the price of school fees is rising, I will not let it become a hindrance to my pursuit of education. I will continue to study so that I can make my dreams come to reality. I hope that everyone will realize the importance of education, and the great effects it will bring to our lives.