What is Love?

Nijah Huggins - bronx, New York
Themes: love

What is love? That’s the question I have been asking myself for some time now. When I look at couples on the street, I see smiling faces and children that they have made because of the love that they for each other. However, there’s more to the story than that. I can recall a time when men had respect for women and their families, but not anymore. In this time and age people cheat and lie and have different babies with many people. My mother always told me, “Nijah, all men want it to get in your pants” and that’s something I take to heart now and wish I had when I was younger.

When I look at men and see how they treat women I get mad and filled with rage because women or young ladies should never go through that situation. I can recall seeing families together having a Greta home and being a family. But sadly that has changed the last couple of years. I can remember hearing a woman on the train the other day saying “I can’t believe how many young women and girls are having kids without the fathers around”. The pain that it brings to my heart when I see that is so undesirable that sometimes when I see it I put my head down in shame. I feel that so many females have no idea what love is and what is means to be loved.

Growing up in these times is harder than ever because all I see is young men with their pants to their knees and one thing on their minds. Ever walk down the street and feel you are being treated like meat? I know I do. I hate feeling like men can’t be men and do the right thing. Sometimes I pray that my husband will be the man that has respect, love, and knowledge of life, in his heart. In this time men and women need to really understand what they want in life and in love. A lot of women see what’s on the outside and not what’s on the inside.