my dream

Guillermo Morales - Auburn, Washington

My Dream

I was born in January nineteen ninety two. I’m short, skinny, full Mexican and I am sixteen years old. In this age I like to chat online, go to the mall or hang out with my friends. But soccer is my passion. Soccer has motivated me to do better in school usually I play soccer every single weekend. My older brother Daniel thought that I need a job instead of playing soccer. So he got me a part time job at McDonalds. I usually take orders from the diner or the drive through. My parents are cool with me having a job but their really strict on my education especially my father. My parents expect my brother and me to be the first generation that finishes school. After sixteen years, I believe even though I am a minority I can overcome this obstacle of being the second person in my family that finishes high school. At the age of three my parents decided to move Mexico. I lived in Mexico for six years and a half until my parents decided that United States had a better education and I would have a better life. I started my first day of school in Chinook elementary. I was nervous because I didn’t know any English. At first my class mates laughed at me because I didn’t know how to answer the teacher when she asked me a question. ESL was helping me learn English. On rainy day of spring I remember that one of my class mates was calling me a dirty beaner. I didn’t know what a dirty beaner was until my friend Pedro told me it meant dirty Mexican. I didn’t want problems so I ignored him and walked away but then he started talking about my mom in a sexual way that’s when I got pissed off. I tapped his shoulder a tackled him to the wet muddy grass and started socking the crap out of his face. My friends were making sure that none of his friends tried to jump in to help him. Afterwards my ESL teacher broke it up and sends both of us to the main office we both received six days of suspension. A year later I had learned how to speak English .My father motivated me to do well in school and not get into more any trouble. My main goal is to enroll to college but going to college is going to be difficult because only twenty two percent of students that are Latino or Hispanic enroll to college. I’ve been told that life doesn’t get much easier going into adult hood. According to Daniel if I maintain myself an individual person not care what people think about me I would do better in school I saw Daniel go through a lot of stress when he got his left index finger cut off at his work by a machine and he still managed to graduate high school and is enrolled into green river community college. He became the first person in my family that made it to college. I believe if you Hispanic, Asian, or African American you can over come any obstacle or goal that gets in your way.