Seeing Things As They Are

Kimberly - Weaverville, North Carolina

I believe in seeing things as they really are, and not how I expect them to be. Maybe it’s just my artistic eye, but I love to see detail. I try not to classify things and create stereotypes. Take a simple leaf. It’s never just a leaf; it has its own unique shape, coloration, and vein structure. It’s similar to the other millions of leaves from the same tree, but it’s slightly different. To single out little things and acknowledge their place in the world is important to me.

It’s almost impossible to draw Realism without thinking about detail. In fact, in most of my drawings, the details make the picture. It’s all about observing the subject and concentrating on how it looks. I have to really study and somewhat become my subject to understand it best. When I’m out hiking, I never think of how repetitious the trees are in the woods or how boring walking the same trail over again is. There’s always something new for me to notice, like a delicate ivy vine trailing up a moss-covered boulder and winding its way up a sapling growing within the crevices of the rock. Its intricately lobed leaves open their faces to the sky, capturing the light beams that escape from the canopy of trees above. The rays dancing and playing on their slick surfaces roll off and puddle like liquid gold in the dead leaves that carpet the ground. All of this comes to me as I reach eagerly for my sketchbook and pencils.

I apply this principle in less extreme ways to my everyday life. I do my best to not judge things for how I think they are. Everything has its own place in this world, and I strive to respect that. Every person, animal or object has its own purpose, and each is important. If you take one out, you might as well be setting the whole system up for destruction. Many people don’t realize this, and with my art, I want to change that.

Trying to single out things that the average person wouldn’t notice is a challenge. To portray them accurately while capturing their bare essence is an even harder task. Everything has its own significance and nothing deserves to be overlooked without a thought. I believe in taking notice of purpose in life. Things should be taken for what they truly are in this world because it makes a difference when you try to really see things.