Live With the Power of Forgivness

Haley - Clarks, Nebraska
Themes: forgiveness

Live With the Power of Forgiveness

“Haley, your mother and I are getting divorced.” These words are a child’s worst nightmare. From the day I was born until the age of sixteen, I lived in a fantasy world. My life wasn’t difficult like some other kids’. My parents owned their own business so money wasn’t scarce. Everyday when I got home I didn’t have to worry about if there was going to be food on the table. My mom always had supper ready when I got home from practice. I didn’t have to do my own laundry, because my mom always did it for me. Then, in November of 2007, my life changed for forever. Everything went into reverse. I no longer lived in this fantasy world. Actually, I felt like I was in hell.

One cold, November day I woke up and our house felt empty. My mom was gone. My parents’ fights had steadily gotten worse, but I never imagined this happening. I dreamt that one day everything would be back to normal. My dream never came true. It seemed as if my world was coming to an end. I was aggravated with my mom for leaving and frustrated with my dad for fighting with her. Deep down I never wanted to forgive them, because they were both the cause. This made my sister and me suffer too. After living in this hell world for a couple of days, I realized I couldn’t live this way forever. There was no way I could live without my parents. I had to be understanding and realize this was for the best. This disaster made me realize how important forgiving and forgetting is.

I believe in forgiveness. Without it, I would be living with hatred my whole life. Life’s too short to hold grudges. I have to continue on with my life and not dwell on the past. Even though my parents aren’t married anymore, my parents will remain my parents for forever. My mother is the one who brought me into this world. She gave me life, held my hand when I was sick, and dried my tears when I cried. My father made me tough, he’s the one who made me get back up and try again when I fell down. He taught me how to play sports and be strong. I wish my parents were still together, but I know everything always happens for a reason. Obviously these two high school sweethearts weren’t meant to be. Even though it was a rocky road, this tragedy has only made me emotionally stronger.

One of the hardest tragedies for kids to go through is divorce. It leaves a life long impact on kids. Everyone has to learn to forgive others for their mistakes. Everyday I wake up knowing if there was no such thing as forgiveness, I would be out in this world alone. Without forgiveness, I would be mad at people everyday of my life. I have realized life goes on easier if I just forgive and forget.