Thank You, Relationships

Alexandra - Fontana, California

Thank You, Relationships

I am currently nineteen years young, and I have had two romantic relationships so far. Much comes to mind while looking to my teenage past, but the memories that stand out more, and taught me the most, are the ones linked to these relationships. I strongly believe relationships are great teachers for the mind, and can help build mental and emotional strength in many ways.

What have I learned from these teenage experiences? I have learned entirely too much to explain it all, because each relationship taught me a range of valuable life lessons and truths such as: family differences, different styles of cultural cooking, and even the difference between functional and dysfunctional people.

The first lesson was trust. When I was younger, about fifteen, I did not know much about trust and how it worked in the world. I trusted my first boyfriend, and came to find out after a year, he had a baby on the way from another girl, and that he was in fact a pathological liar. I obviously had difficulty in reading a person’s character. My trust was shaken, I felt such intense emotion, but afterwards I realized, there are reasons not to trust everyone, and sometimes how to determine who to trust can be extremely difficult. You may have to experience pain and unfortunate events to see a person’s true colors.

Next, I learned to be less self conscious of myself. I noticed myself trying to please people in silly ways, and following the dumb trends in high school. When I began my second relationship, I soon learned that I should not let people dictate my actions. I had never realized how oblivious and ignorant I was, and how I let people almost control me, or the way I acted. I learned a little more about my character, I did so with the help from this individual.

Overall, I received something great from each relationship, and each time it has changed me for the better. Even though some of the events I experienced were somewhat traumatic, they benefited me. In the end, these relationships and experiences left me stronger than I was before. I like the person I am today and I know I would be different if it weren’t for the relationships I had with these people. Although some relationships may turn out quite the opposite of what is expected, I believe relationships still teach helpful lessons; they should not be seen as mistakes or regrets, in view of the fact that they help create a stronger individual in the end.