I believe in Knowledge

Dan - Lowell, Michigan

I believe in the pursuit of knowledge. The gathering and comprehending of knowledge and the use of that in real life is important to me. This leads to a better life and a smarter brain. Using books, computers and classes I can gain knowledge to improve my standard of life and I can use this knowledge to help learn and comprehend still more complex knowledge. Most of my life I have worked on gaining knowledge. This has been through school, books and extra curricular activities. I have used this knowledge to join Science Olympiad, study new advanced topics and to attend extra science classes.

Knowledge is power. However, great knowledge sometimes brings great sorrow. This is a sort of paradox, as knowledge can also bring great joy. Knowledge can be used to help or harm one’s self or others. Knowledge can be dangerous but also helpful. Knowing about the evils of the world might possibly hurt me. However I believe that being ignorant of these evils will hurt more than the knowledge of them. Through knowledge I have increased my understanding of the world and the effects that I have on it, myself and others. I need to use my knowledge carefully.

Fear of the unknown is often the greatest fear. However, I have discovered that the more I have learned the less there is to fear. As I learn more I then will understand more and will have less that is unknown to fear. Acting on the fear of the unknown seems rather silly. If I do not know something then why fear it? I see this in my life often. How did I do on the test? What is my grade on it? Worrying on a test after it is finished causes me no end of trouble and I have a hard time concentrating. However the fear caused by not knowing can be a good thing if it causes me to study everything for tests and exams (I never know what they might put on there) so perhaps some fear of this sort of unknown is acceptable. In the end I believe in knowledge: both possessing it and acquiring it, because knowledge will always help me to understand the world.

I have learned that as I seek knowledge the new knowledge opens doors. As I have learned more and more I have understood more of the world around me. This has led me to expand my life into many different activities such as extra-curricular activities like Science Olympiad and Michigan Mathematics League. Also as I acquire most of my knowledge through either school or reading, I have learned to love reading and this is something that has let me pass great amounts of time with much enjoyment.

In the end I believe in the pursuit of knowledge because that is who I am: a person who seeks knowledge.