I Believe in the Beauty of All People

Haylee - Auburn, Washington

I believe in the beauty of all people. This, in a society like todays, isn’t always the easiest thing to prove. In fact, it’s nearly impossible from the surface. Kids bring guns to school, gangs battle, children disappear, and across the world, a war rages on and people die. The news story progresses from one sad story to another, another murder, another disaster, another loss.

I am 16, and my age is probably what makes my beliefs so uncommon. High school is notorious for being one of the ugliest places in a lifetime, and I’m stuck in the middle of it, doing my best to be an optimist. Friends go as quickly as they come, and chances are, someone will say hurtful things about you behind your back. Boys will break your heart, probably more than once, and people you count on will let you down. I, personally, have seen it happen a thousand times if not in my own life, as a bystander in someone else’s.

Because of these inevitable truths, I wasn’t always a believer in what I’m preaching. And because I’d given so many little pieces of my heart away during my high school career, I rarely believed anyone would treat it properly. During my sophomore year, I was part of an inseparable clique (which is pretty unavoidable at my age). The five of us all hung out after school, liked the same people, and could always be seen together.

It seems now that half the time we were crazy about one another, the other half we were talking badly about somebody behind their back. Usually at least one girl was angry at another girl and the rest of us just took sides. Nevertheless, we had unforgettable good times, thousands of inside jokes, and a bond I’ll never forget.

Eventually, when school ended and summer began, I lost touch with these girls, somewhat reluctantly. However, I was thankful to escape the drama, backstabbing and fighting, and I found new friends. They weren’t particularly fond of my old ‘group’ for all the drama they caused in my life; however, I constantly stuck up for them. People don’t usually understand why I defend them; they wonder why I’m not bitter and resentful.

I see it this way: Though people have insecurities and anger, they are as a whole, good people. They were my friends at one point; we had a relationship because I enjoyed their company. And I still do. I argue with my friends now and I’ll argue with the friends I’ll have in the future, but they are friends and we will inevitably have differences. The same way sisters bicker, but in the end still love each other no matter what. And just because we’re not as tight as we used to be, doesn’t mean any of us are less wonderful then when we began.

Though we may have variations and flaws, there is always a good side to us, and that’s how those around us see the contrast of our errors. I try to see this potential in everyone I meet and anyone who I’ve grown apart from. In the end, I know in one way or another, every single person has at a whole lot of good inside of them. If everyone took the time to look at it that way, they’d see it too. This, I believe.