Finding Faith

Matthew - riverside, California
Themes: Christianity

Finding Faith

I was born into an amazing family, one I wouldn’t trade for the world, but to call us a religious family would be a stretch. Growing up we didn’t attend church, or any other religious activities. Religion was simply not part of my life. As I got older I came to find that my father was actually pretty religious. Though he never outwardly pushed Christianity upon me, he raised me to be well. When I say well, I mean he raised me with a Christian like belief, and goals in life. Though God was not a part of my life yet I followed his (Gods) rules, ideas, and beliefs, I just didn’t know it yet.

I went through the early part of my life without any type of beliefs. It was about midway into my senior year when I found my faith. I was in one of my classes when a student started mouthing off at the teacher, which wasn’t unusual for this student to do, and I told the student to calm down and that there was no need to get all worked up. He then turned to me and called me a “stupid little Christian church boy”. I thought it was funny at first, because I had never been to church before. The more I thought about it though, the more I wanted to get to know more about Christianity. So I went to one of my best friends for some guidance.

Luke, my best friend, is what I considered a hardcore Christian. I figured he would be the right guy to go to. So the next day I asked him a question, the question was, “What does it mean to be a Christian?” He answered my question by telling me to come over to his house that night. I got there and sat down at a chair across from Luke.. We talked about Christianity for about two hours, but it was what we did right after that that was fire starter in my life, we prayed. It was the first time I ever prayed. Later that night when I got home I sat on my bed thinking of everything I learned and I realised that I already believed in most of it. It was then that I began to pray, only I didn’t know it, I started talking to God, as if I was having a conversation with him. It was at that moment that I found God, that I found my faith.

The one thing that I enjoy the most in my life now is the praying. I pray to God every night, every day, whenever I get a chance. It’s as if he’s been my friend this whole time. There will be time when ill have a complete conversation with him. He is my friend; my lord, and our savior, this is what I believe.