Pay It Forward

Stephanie - Austin, Texas

The words: “pay it forward” are simply more than any label that anybody can place on them. They don’t just represent my “words to live by” or beliefs. They are much more than that; much more than just a catchy slogan, and even more than a definition. These words aren’t confined; they have no boundaries. They roam into every aspect of my life and guide me always. They are simply a purpose- my purpose to always “pay it forward”.

So, this “purpose to ‘pay it forward’”- what does it mean? How can I describe the weight these words carry for me? The best way I can say it is: it means to be grateful. It means to “count my blessings” and through random acts of kindness to others, give my thanks. It means to be completely aware of all that I have been given and look for every opportunity to give it all back. It could mean a million words but, if it was represented by just one, it would be “give”. So, it is upon the basis of giving that I believe in make every effort to count all others more significant than myself and pay it forth to the world because they have paid it forth to me.

I believe in speaking to encourage, to inform, and to forgive. I may not be the smoothest talker but, I find a way to communicate what I mean through my actions which speak louder than any words I can form.

I believe in listening to know others and gain understanding. I try to hear more than words so that I may be that shoulder to lean on or that “go-to” girl for others.

I believe in smiling in order to comfort, to deliver joy, and show thanks. It’s truly dumbfounding how the curve of my lips can turn somebody’s day around.

I believe in laughing to spread cheer and lift anxiety. No, I don’t stifle my laughter and conceal my smile. I laugh out loud and often. And, I do it to spread joy so others may experience this feeling like none other on Earth.

I believe in helping so that I may relieve. To lift the burden of another, no matter how overwhelming or minute, without consideration of reward is one of the greatest deeds I seek.

I believe in living and giving to pay it forward.

Embedded within all the things I do, within every action I take are the words: “pay it forward”. These words can be found in my helping hand and my simple smile. They’re evident in the words I speak and the way in which I listen. They represent my beliefs and how I attempt to put my faith forth into this world. They are the closest thing that I can identify as my purpose. This one belief of mine embodies all that I strive to be.