My American Manifesta

Sarah - Asheville, North Carolina

I believe in an America where Patriotism is not an unconscious submission to mainstream propaganda, but an act of thoughtful discourse and active participation, through assent and dissent.

I believe in an America where we listen to our leaders and ourselves with critical ears and respond with informed voices, not drugged by the false euphoria of corporate-sponsored media.

I believe in an America that empowers the voice of the individual.

I believe in an America where Women’s Reproductive Rights are not legislated – where women have the choice to have or not have sex, to use or not use contraceptives, to have or not have an abortion.

I believe in an America where we teach our children to think, act, and grow strong in independence and teamwork, not inebriated by consumerism.

I believe in an America where people can openly express their love, raise children in a shared home, and have legal partnership rights regardless of sexual orientation.

I believe in an America of empathy towards our fellows and the earth, where our leaders illuminate the path to mutuality through dialogue and cooperation and where the People lay this foundation with their daily actions.

I believe in an America where racial, gender, and religious slanders are no longer acceptable tactics to spread fear of the other.

I believe in an America where the right to healthcare – the right to life – is an inalienable right as understood as the right to public education and fire protection.

I believe in an America that remembers our history of innovation and continues that legacy by transcending our myopic addiction to fossil fuels.

I believe in an America where the People simply do not accept distracting antics that polarize our nation and divert our attention from real issues.

I believe in an America that prides itself on intellectual, physical, and spiritual pursuits for excellence, that praises – but does not worship – our elite, and accepts only the finest to represent us.

I believe in an America that views women as the intellectual and social equals of men and values us for these traits.

I believe in an America that respects all elements of our American self – the intelligentsia, the blue collar workers, the immigrants, the single moms, the Muslims, the Jews, the anarchists, the hippies, the working poor, and the elderly.

I believe in an America guided by a leader of light, who inspires positivity and hope – a leader who motivates the American people to action, helps lift us from our severe stagnation, and leads us to interaction with ourselves, our international selves, and the earth.

I believe in an America that elects our Presidents based on the callings of their soul, their sense of authentic integrity, and their hopes for a better tomorrow, not their fears of the unknown but instead a knowing that America is set for a new era of politics and human existence.

I believe in an America led by the people, united by Barack Obama.