Taken Away

Adriann - Chandler, Arizona

Taken Away

I believe that something that I value so much can be taken away from me in less then a second. I’ve always thought that bad things couldn’t happen to me until something almost did. I was fortunate to start believing before the chance for me to believe was taken away.

When I was growing up I didn’t have much; therefore, I didn’t have much that could me taken away from me. All I had was my family, and they had always had good health and good luck over the years. As I began to reach my late teens, I started owning more things of value.

It started with nicer clothes and shoes, as well as the newest cell phones that were out until the day came that I got to purchase a car. I bought the car of my dreams, I was the happiest I had been in years since before things were actually important.

Before driving my car, I drove a truck so the feeling was much different between the two vehicles. I had only had my car about three weeks before encountering a life threatening spin out on the freeway due to the lack of knowledge about how my car drove. I remember seeing the passenger side of a white Mustang as we nearly collided into onto each other. It barely missed my driver side of my car. By the time my car had stopped I was facing oncoming traffic on the US 60 in the lane I was just in a minute ago. I pulled my car to the side of the road. Through all that I didn’t manage to hit anyone or cause any accidents. But my car wasn’t the first thing that came to my mind. The very first thing I thought about once my car came to a stop was my nephew who was conceived by my sister-in-law just two years prior, who was still asleep in his car seat in the back. I looked back at him so fast and to my surprise he was still asleep. I didn’t care about my car, only my nephew. I remember thanking God for his safety and well being on the side of the road.

I’ve always kept my nephew dear in my heart but it wasn’t until that day that I realized how much I truly do care for him. I realized I would take the hit for him, I would buy him whatever he wanted, I would try my hardest to make him happy, and I would die for him. I would ask God to take me over him any day even though I am young as well but he is even younger. He has even more of a life, filled with love and laughter, a head of him then I do.

Everything that I had started to revolve my life around, my nice clothes, my fancy phones, my new shoes, didn’t matter anymore. My family began to be the center of my life right where it should have been the whole time. That one time I let them slip out because I took them for granted, I almost lost them. It was that day that I knew anything and also anyone could be taken away from me and be gone by tomorrow.

I’m glad I got the chance to believe bad karma can happen to good or bad people. Even though you don’t do anything wrong life has a cycle and will always take its course. Also, you should learn to just let it take its course because whether you like it or not, it’s going to happen, and you should go with the flow. Instead of against traffic like I’ve done. It almost took me the hard way to learn to appreciate my family more, but I was fortunate to just get a warning this time. I’m hoping there will not have to be a next time from here on out. I will live and love as if it were the last chance I got.