Chances

Alison - Mnt. City, Georgia

I believe that everybody deserves a chance. If you don’t give them at least one chance you wouldn’t know what you are missing out on. That person could have been your best friend or someone you were supposed to help through there bad time. When I was younger I would judge people, then if I didn’t think I would like them I wouldn’t talk to them and would try to avoid them. Some of those people I judged are now some of my closest friends. All it took was for me to give them the chance to prove to me that they weren’t what I thought they were.

There has been many times that I have given someone a chance and wished I didn’t, But there has also been many times that I am glad that I did give them a chance. Sometimes they may need more than one chance and I think it should be given, unless they keep doing the same thing over and over. When my mom and dad separated I didn’t want her to be with anyone else, but she started dating again. I would think from the beginning that any guy she dated I wouldn’t like and there was nothing he could do to make me like him. The first couple months my mom dated this guy I didn’t give him a chance to show me that he was a good guy and all I seen of him was the bad never the good. After a while I figured he was not going away so I finally gave him the chance I should have to start off with. He had turned out to be a really good guy and I was glad I had given him a chance. If I wouldn’t have given him a chance I would have never seen the good person he was all I would have seen was the bad person that I made him out to be in the being.

Before I gave my friends of today a chance I thought they were stuck up and would try to avoid them as much as possible. We had classes together and we would be put in the same groups, still I talked very little to them. I realized that it wasn’t working out; I decided maybe they aren’t as bad as I’m making them out to be so I gave them a chance. The next day I talked to them more and seen how much we had in common. We have been friends ever since that day.

You never really know if you’re going to like someone unless you give him or her a chance to show you who they really are. All you have to do is give people a chance. You could be the one-person that kept them from going down the wrong path, and to think you could do that just by giving them a chance. Who knows you could pick up a friend in the process.