Security Blankets

Henry - Fort Collins, Colorado

I believe that everyone needs a security blanket.

When someone thinks of a security blanket, their first thought might go to Linus in the Peanuts gang. They might think, “I don’t carry around a dorky blanket like that goofy little kid in that one comic, but look at me! I get along fine in life!” The truth is, however, they do have a “dorky blanket”. Their dorky blanket is the one thing in life, when everything goes wrong, they can count on being there for them. It might be their morning ritual, which they follow religiously. It might be their habit of tapping their feet, which annoys everyone, but they cannot stop doing it. Whatever it is, though, their security blanket gets them through the day.

I know what my security blanket is. It takes on a physical form, like Linus’s blanket. It is my hockey jacket. My hockey jacket is a jacket I get every year from my hockey organization. I have to wear it to my team’s games. I wear my hockey jacket every day, and when I get a new one, I wear the new jacket every day. However, when I have to wash it, I feel nervous, and exposed. I almost feel naked without it. Without my jacket, I do not know if I could make it through the day, or at least make it a good day. It gives my mind peace. My jacket is important to me and my state of mind.

Everyone, not just me, needs a security blanket. This blanket is something constant in their life. They need something to keep them anchored to this world, to make something sane of an insane world. In this way, their security blanket watches over them, and helps them. It is a “guardian blanket”.

Having a security blanket is important for everyone. Their blanket is what gets each and every person through the day. Even if they do not know what it is, it watches over them, making their day better. I know my jacket helps me. I also know that no matter how bad my day is, my blanket is there for me.