Cheers for Round Two

Luke - windsor, Colorado
Themes: forgiveness

I believe second chances are part of what makes us human. I was twelve years old when I was introduced to marijuana. At the time, my childish mind was excited at the prospect of the new entertainment. Soon, the more I did it, the more socially addicting it was. After merely weeks, I was doing it with my friends nearly every opportunity I was presented with. At the same time this was happening, my life, like a fragile glass, was shattering. My school grades, A’s and B’s, plummeted to C’s and D’s. I used to be captain on my ice hockey team, but soon after starting to use marijuana I was removed as captain. Surprisingly, I continued doing it, even after I saw its effects. My parents quickly caught on to my behavior and became more suspicious of my friends. I started losing the friends I really liked and enjoyed the company of, not because they knew, but because it consumed my life.

December, 2007, I was called down to the office at school. As soon as I was there, they were all over me, like ants on a picnic; they checked everything, my pockets, my locker, my backpack, and anything else I had. Evidently, another kid at school was busted for buying drugs at school. They had asked the kid who he had smoked with, he said he did it with me. They interrogated me for a while and I tried to lie myself out of it, but the truth rang out.

Actually, I had done it with the kid. I did it in Porto-potty a couple blocks away from the school. I was punished by the school, even though it wasn’t even on school property. The punishment was a ten-day suspension. The school administration’s punishment wasn’t really even close to the worst punishment. The worst punishment was when I got home, as I watched my mother cry, it felt like I was hit by a semi truck of regrets. Going to school and sitting down at the lunch table when I got back, and not being able to look a single person in the eye, wasn’t easy either. When I would sit down, sometimes, people would just leave; it was hard to accept that sometimes people just didn’t trust me anymore. Every time I said something stupid in class, people would immediately assume it was because I was on drugs. I haven’t done marijuana since Dec. 7, 2007 and I’m proud of this fact.

It’s still hard today, a year later. Life never really gets easier after things like this. My mother and I have patched up our relationship. I have friends who accept what I did and don’t hate me for it. Some of my peers still don’t look at me the same, but I get over it. I had my second chance and I took it. My life is going great now, and I’m glad for it. I believe in second chances, do you?