To Regret or Rejoice

Robert - Gig Harbor, Washington
Themes: carpe diem

I had a hero. I had a grandma. I had my Mimi. I lost her that horrible day in august 2001. My Mimi was a fighter. She was only able to fight it for a year. Then she lost. I was only nine at the time. But in my fourth grade world, Mimi was my idol. That night my mom kept me home. “It’s almost your bed time, and we’ll be out late.” my mom told me as she drove off across town. I didn’t get a final word. I didn’t get a last hug. I didn’t get to say goodbye to my Mimi.

I regretted that night. For six years I regretted not being able to say “goodbye,” not a last kiss, and no last hug. But I learned that to rejoice is a better thing. I rejoiced on September 5th, 2007, that was when my niece was born. Her name was Olivia Paige. And she is amazing.

Mimi told me something I can remember to this day. She said, “For everything you have missed, you have gained something else; for everything you gain, you lose something else. It is about your outlook towards life. You can regret or rejoice.” At the time I let it float aloft through my mind for a mere second, maybe two and of course quickly threw it out. I never expected it to hold importance to my future. My remembrance of the quote cleared my mind. I lost Mimi, yet with that horrid, unthinkable loss, came my darling little niece. I am so very thankful for having Olivia now. Through this entire chain of events, I realize that I have to be thankful for what I have.

I feel that sometimes I have to wait for what I deserve. In this case, that held very true. Though Olivia came many years after Mimi, it was well worth the wait. I believe life’s goal is not to go out and get you back. Life’s goal is to have everything support me.

Whenever I lose something, I now avoid regretting. I believe if I wait for what is to come; a reward presents itself to me in time. Also that, that wait is well worth my time. I always hear people saying, “The light is brighter at the end of the tunnel.” Before my experience I disagreed. Nothing seemed to be happening to my advantage. Once I neared the end of the tunnel, it brought new light to my life.

To live my life to the fullest, I must believe I must remain optimistic to achieve anything. And when I do this simple little task, rewards present themselves to me. For everything I have missed, I have gained something better.