Go For It

jordan - auburn, Washington

I received my first dirt-bike when I was around the age of 5. Only a few years later I had started racing. I’ve pursued racing enough so that it’s a second nature to me. Kind of like how driving is. I won’t care if I make it pro. I’m not expecting to be. I just go out and do it because it’s my passion, and I love to do it.

Although I have many hobbies, if I had to go by one, it’d be a motocross racer. I enjoy the competition, the smell of the fumes, the rush, and adrenaline I get when I’m coming out of the starting gate, and the connection between my tires and earth are inseparable.

I believe when you find something that you’re interested in, that you should persist to exercise and cherish it. I feel sorry for the people who don’t find a niche, or special hobby that they enjoy to do because they can’t experience the happiness that comes with it. People who don’t experience this happiness may almost feel lost in their lives. Almost as if they think that they don’t have a purpose in life. I believe that everybody in this world has a purpose. Whether it’s becoming the president and changing the whole world, or something as simple as saving a kitten. So whatever you may do, find a hobby, play a sport, or anything. Even under-water basket weaving… Just do what you love.

It’s ironic why I can’t play sports. I was competing in a qualifying race in Yakima, to compete in state. Over 150 riders had turned out. I was in the 250cc, Heat 3 branch. I’d be racing with people whose lives were that of mx racing. After I came out of the starting gate I could tell I’d have a rival with one of the other riders. I was competing for the third spot practically the whole race. On the third to last turn before jump 12, I passed second place and first place, making me in first. The next jump, jump 13, I had missed a gear and came off of the jump slower than I should have. Doing so, the rider behind me had nicked my back tire in air, thrusting me and my bike forward. When I hit the ground my bike had hit my collar bone.

I would be out of any sports that involve contact, couldn’t race for three years, and pretty much screwed the fact that I was going to play football throughout my entire high school years. I may play next year because my collar bone will be healed. I played AJF all elementary and sixth grade. I received a titanium plate, six screws, and the scar to prove it.

As you may believe, some people may be scared to ride again, but this is one of the reasons I like to race, the sense that anything can happen. I continued riding again this summer, and I still enjoy it to the fullest. Don’t let any mishap get in the way of you following, or pursuing your dream. Go for it.