Thank You Miley

Logan - Tiger, Georgia
Themes: death

Thank You Miley

I have always believed that all things happen for a reason. It may be as minute as being late for school or as devastating as a death of a loved one. Some things happen in our lives that will never have a clear explanation. Whether the circumstances are big or small, I have learned that you must accept the outcome.

The thought of quitting basketball had lingered in my mind all summer long. I didn’t want to waste my time doing something that my heart just wasn’t in. Though I was on the varsity team as a freshman and would be starting the following year; that was the last thing on my mind. I guess you could say my excuse was, “I want to focus on my academics,” but the fact of the matter was that I wasn’t really going to work any harder whether I was playing ball or not.

On August 2nd, a young lady that had been a Lady Cats basketball player just like me; had passed away in a tragic automobile accident. I had known her from church, school and friends, but never had a personal relationship with her. I did know she was an amazing human being that cared only about pleasing God and being a friend to everyone. She always lived her life to the fullest, even though she faced struggles that rendered her ability to play the sport she loved. Though the pain of Arthritis was at times overwhelming, she always stuck it out.

As I sat through her memorial service that over seven hundred people attended, I listened to the miraculous stories about her life. I knew immediately that when I left that building, I was leaving with a brand new attitude about life. As God tugged at my heart, I came to realize that God placed me on that team for a reason and gave me a talent that I needed to use for His glory. Although we may never accept it, Miley left this earth for a divine purpose. I knew that if I didn’t use my talent and athletic ability, that God was going to take it away.

The impact that this twenty-three year old girl made in my life is indescribable. I was not close to her and the sorrow that her family faced cannot be put into words, but the radical change in so many people’s lives made her death a blessing in disguise. Not only did it make me see that playing basketball was a priority to God but the way I live my life is so different from that way it use to be. I can’t wait until I see her in heaven so I can give her an enormous hug, thanking her for the life she lead on earth. Thanks for changing my life Miley. You are going to receive many crowns in heaven and I am thankful for everything that you have done.