A Dog’s Life

Kelly - elgin, Illinois

He was sick. My 2-year old puppy had cancer and he was dying. He didn’t let that get him down though. He still tried to wag his tail when he was too weak. He greeted me at the door when he was in pain. He tried to live his life to fullest even though he was sick. I believe that by watching him, or any canine for that matter, I can see how to live certain aspects of life.

My puppy, Bear, got sick a little after turning one. I noticed some lumps on his paw one day so my mom took him to the vet. His diagnosis was not a good one. The vet concluded that Bear had bone cancer in his right paw. His paw was amputated shortly thereafter. As soon as he could, he tried to get up and walk. At first he kept falling. He just could not balance himself, especially with the large cast on his paw. He was determined though. I remember coming home one day and he was at the door. He greeted me for the first time since before his surgery. I learned from him that I can’t let things like pain or injury keep me from accomplishing my goals.

Shortly after Bear’s death, I got a new dog. Max was rescued from an abusive home. He was kept in a cage day after day, only being let out once a day to use the restroom. Personally, if I had been in his position, I would have been terribly skittish of people and I would not have been able to trust or love anyone. Max, on the other hand, had different ideas. He was extremely happy to be out of his cage somewhere where he could run around. When I came home from school the first day we got him, he ran up to me and jumped on me. He licked my face as if it were full of sweet sugar. I would’ve thought that he would have been scared of me or that he would be in the corner not sure what to do with himself. I thought to myself “wouldn’t it be nice if everybody acted like this” I thought this world would be a much better place if it’s inhabitants could just learn to forgive and forgive. Grudges make the world a lonely place. Max never held a grudge against the man who abused him. By not holding a grudge, Max lived a very happy life.

Both of my dogs taught me how to live life. Bear showed me that it is possible to accomplish your goals regardless of how challenging it may be. Max on the other hand taught me that even though bad has been done to you, you don’t need to hold a grudge.