I Believe in the Power of Smell

Kenzi - Tiger, Georgia

Almost every time I take a trip to Wal-Mart, I find myself wandering down aisles that have absolutely none of the items on my list. Somehow I always find myself on the cosmetics aisle where I am guaranteed to spend more time than anywhere else. Why? I believe in the power of smell. This may sound a little different, but I find smell can have an effect on feelings, thoughts, and even moods.

Once I open a bottle of shampoo, lotion, cologne, or perfume, I stumble across a smell which does not stop at my nose but goes all through me and takes my back to somewhere other than aisle twelve. For instance, I cannot remember the name of this one particular kind of deodorant, but I wore it my whole freshman year. Each time I smell it, I feel the way I did then. With my girly-fresh scent, I felt like I knew it all. I know it sounds corny, but I am sure if you were to think about it, each of us experiences all different kinds of emotions through smell.

I grew up in a very rural area here in Clayton. This town is small, as well as the schools and businesses. In this town it is not uncommon to see pastures filled with cattle and horses or tractors going down the Highway 441 through town. The house I grew up in is surrounded by pastures and all kinds of animals, and every year I hated when it came time to put out chicken litter to fertilize the grass. The smell would fill my room if I opened my bedroom window and smother me when I walked out the door. To me it was completely disgusting and noisome, but Dad, he says it “smells like money.” Things are different now that I no longer live in that house. Do not think I am crazy when I say this, but I actually enjoy the smell of chicken litter now when I pass it.

I believe smell actually has more of an effect than we realize. A few years back, my uncle remodeled my grandma’s home and I was a little upset once I saw the completed work. The house was absolutely beautiful, no doubt, but my grandma’s home was no longer there. When I visit her now I do not see the house in which my sisters and I spent much of our childhood, but as long as my grandma lives there, it will always have her smell. So it really does not matter that everything else has changed because as soon as I walk through the door, I smell my grandma’s home, even though I cannot see it.

Someone once said to take the time and smell the roses, and now I am saying the same thing to you. I believe in the power of smell and I think if we all just take a little more time out of the day to smell what is going on around us, it might just brighten a mood or two.