From My Parents – This I Believe

Jose - Piedmont, California

My beliefs and values were formed through the example and guidance of my parents – Consuelo & Francisco Arce.

Community service goes back to the Molina family tradition of hosting a poor family on the day of San Jose. When we lived in Colusa Mom helped migrant worker families at the labor camp in Williams, and ever since they became citizens, they have always voted. From them, I believe in doing civic involvement, giving for those in need and always voting.

We were always in touch with all of our Tios and Tias and our 50 first cousins; we went to Mexico in the summers to visit the family and we learned that our family was always more than the six of us. From them, I believe that the family is of central importance to us and to our future.

Faith was always very important to my parents, and they always taught us to respect and not be judgmental of others. From them, I believe in having faith and in respecting the faith of others.

My parents have always been the ideal couple – they never argued and they always demonstrated their love and affection for each other. From them, I believe in working hard to be a good partner and husband.

My parents were such patient, interested, yet firm parents when we were growing up. They were unconditionally supportive of what we did and what roads we took. From them, I believe in the importance of investing time and energy in my children, trusting them, and to always be available to support them in their lives.

Education was the reason we came to the US – and my parents have always stressed the importance of school and being competitive. From them, I believe in education as the key to success for my self, my children, and my community.

My parents are extremely creative and I always believed that they could make anything. From them, I believe in having the confidence to try new things and to build things.