So What?

Elizabeth - Fort Collins, Colorado

I believe that prejudice is wrong. Growing up has been hard for me because for most of my school years I’ve always been kind of an outcast. Never really fitting in anywhere, and few people looked past my outer appearance. Few people know the “real” me because people don’t give me a chance. They judge me before getting to know me. I’ve been discriminated against by my peers because I am an overweight, tallish, short haired, tom-boyish girl. I’m too big to be “popular”, too guyish to be a girly-girl, too tall and strong to be friendly, too shy to be a leader, and many other things. That isn’t me though. That is how I’m viewed by people who don’t give me a chance.

To my friends I am thoughtful, funny, and intelligent. These people have seen past my physical imperfections and flaws and they have learned about me. Why must our society be so cruel? Why must the different people be divided, conquered, and demoralized by the “perfect” robots of conformity? I believe every man, woman, and child is created equal, that’s not true though, society won’t allow it. This, I believe, is wrong. Prejudice is wrong. Whether by age, race, gender, orientation, hair colour, eye colour, hometown, weight, height, or status, you shouldn’t judge people before you get to know them, for in return they will poorly judge you back.

People are creatures of habit. If we had never made the habit of prejudice, we would not have it in this world today. We need to make a new habit as a society; a good, whole, pure habit to hopefully bring equality to all prejudiced matters. If we do this we may save some lives, the lives of people who couldn’t find their place in this dog-eat-dog world. I believe, with the elimination of prejudice, more and more of the teens of today wouldn’t feel pressured to try and do drastic things. The elimination of prejudice could help us, the teens of today, from doing things such as drugs, alcohol, smoking… or worse yet… suicide. So I say, set aside your differences, and just say “So what?” This, I believe.