Best Friends

Madi - Fort Collins, Colorado

I believe in someone you can tell absolutely everything to, someone you can’t go a day without seeing. I believe in best friends. “Sometimes in our lives we all have pain, We all have sorrow, But if we are wise We know that there’s always tomorrow. Lean on me, when you’re not strong, And I’ll be your friend I’ll help you carry on For it won’t be long ‘Til I’m gonna need Somebody to lean on.”-Bill Withers

I believe in best friends. I had a very best friend from fourth grade through eighth grade, her name was Taylor. We did absolutely everything together. At school, every class we had together was our favorite class, no matter how boring of a subject. Being the happiest person I’ve ever been, this made me believe in best friends.

Late last February, I began to question by belief in best friends. Taylor told me that she was moving away to Wyoming. My heart sunk as I realized that we would most likely no longer be best friends. I was afraid of facing the world without my other half. I spent as much of the next weeks with Taylor, and one February day, she was gone. I realized that this long, beautiful friendship was over, but deep down I still believed in best friends. I knew that someday, I could find a new one.

Six months after Taylor moved away I hadn’t made a new best friend, but somehow my faith in best friends was still alive and strong inside me. I had gone six months without having anyone to share my secrets with, and I never got to have fun sleepovers every Friday night like I used to. I often felt really lost, because everyone I saw around me had that best friend that I envied. I didn’t understand why I didn’t have that person so stick up for me when someone else was being mean, but I still believed in having best friends.

I am amazed today at how much I believe in best friends. I went through a time, where looking back, I should have dropped my belief all together. It has been nine monthes since Taylor moved away, and I have found the best friends anyone could ever ask for. I never thought that the day would come when I had someone to tell everything to. I was just searching for the wrong person to be my best friend, and what I didn’t know was that there were four other girls just waiting for me to realize one simple thing. I had always believed in best friends, as in two girls telling everything to one and other and spending every second together, but my no friends experience made me realize that best friends can be so many more people than just two. I believe in best friends, no matter how many, they make you that happiest person you can be. I believe in best friends.