Respect Your Elders

Preston - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: respect

Respect Your Elders

Everyone needs someone to look up to and respect.

Grandparents or senior citizen you meet in the community have a unique story. Elders are like books, filled with wisdom and knowledge. All you have to do is spend the time to find out about them. Any retirement home you find contains the vast knowledge of the people living there and their experiences. Army veterans, fire fighters and lawyers, you would never guess what their profession was with a single glance. Without questioning our elders we might never find out what they know. Always remember that you will also become old someday, and you will have an obligation to pass your experiences on to the next generation.

I went to a retirement home once and was astonished by how much knowledge the people there had regarding just about anything. Everyone there was willing to tell you all sorts of stories about their past; all you had to do was stop and listen. Their ideas and stories should have been written in a book. Countless war stories, love stories, and heart wrenching stories lay dwelling in their minds waiting to be told. If you ever go to a retirement home you should consider stopping and asking one of them to tell you a story.

Wisdom is something that most elderly people have a surplus of. Experience contributes to this vast wisdom. Tragedies, deaths, disasters, triumphs, peace and joy are all contributors. With a little bit of patience and respect you can unlock this wisdom. Though, without respect to them we will never know of their great stories.

Patience is what we must give our senor citizens. Many times they are aware of how slow they are walking but cannot help it. Many wish they could be quicker but no one is spared from the sands of time and the process of aging. Whenever your old neighbor next door yells “Get off my lawn!” just think of what it would be like in their shoes. Our elders are smarter and wiser than us in most cases. That alone should earn our respect. There is a reason elders are respected in Indian societies; their knowledge helps the younger generation to learn from their mistakes and successes.

Elders contribute to our society greatly, and I think everyone could learn a great deal from them. They have earned our respect countless times in their lives. Without elders no knowledge would be passed down from generation to generation. Elders deserve our respect, this I believe.