Love and Perseverance

Anna - Fort Collins, Colorado

I am 15 years old, and managed to conquer what I saw as the impossible: depression. It began when I was in 5th grade, and got increasingly worse throughout the years. By the time I was in 8th grade I decided there was no place for me in this world, no reason for me to try to live through this disease. I am now writing to you about this experience because it has left me with more insight and passion in my life. I now strongly believe in the power of perseverance and love.

Depression is a hard disease to fight because it buries your mind in a hole so deep you feel you can’t climb out of it. Then, when you finally try, it’s too hard and tiring, so you figure that it’s just easier to stay buried and let your life slowly wander by. With love my sister mended my broken eyes so that I could see the light and start fighting. This struggle was one painful and hard fought battle, especially considering how young I was, but with perseverance I feel I have prevailed. The way I feel now is far better than before because I feel happier and stronger, and I now love as I have been loved.

When I was still in deep depression, I saw the world through a broken pair of eyes. It was cruel, rough, hard and pointless. The only thing that kept me from jumping out of the car was three words that my sister texted to me: I LOVE YOU. Those words sent a pang of sadness through my heart because I realized what I almost did, and that I really was needed in this world for the sake of others. I decided from that point on that I wasn’t going to let this control my life, like it had been for so long; and so I began the long road back to happiness persevering one day at a time. No doubt I wasn’t able to fight this on my own; I had to let others into my life to support and love me so that I could find the strength to keep going.

I believe that love and perseverance can conquer all because I have personally experienced what it can do; it’s not just a mind set that I want to be true. Going into depression I was a hard head, and now that I am out of it people tell me that my heart is too big. I can look at things that are tough with a positive attitude, knowing that something good will come out of it with a bit of love and perseverance. The love that others showed me has left me with a passion to pass that love on to others. Struggles should not be looked at as hopeless, but as an opportunity. The impossible is now possible because there is always dawn after dusk. This I believe.