My Philosophy

Stephanie - Sammamish, Washington

Siblings often argue with one another. In many families this seems to be completely normal. If you ask anyone, they will say that, in one point of their life, they have fought with someone that they love. The same thing goes for my sister and me, and we disagree over almost everything. We argue over the silliest things, like who gets the TV remote or who gets to take a shower before the other. We sometimes will say anything to get our way, even if it hurts the others feelings. One day, my sister and I were fighting over something pointless. We said a lot of things that we did not mean, but we never thought that it could damage others feelings. Right then and there, I asked myself, ‘What are we fighting about?’ At that moment, I began to develop a clear personal philosophy. I knew that I had to treat others the way I would want to be treated. It seems like such a simple rule to follow, but sometimes we are not aware that we could be breaking this rule. We know how to treat others with respect, but sometimes we can get caught up in the moment and don’t think about what we are saying, or even why we are saying those things. Every time you give someone a scar or wound, you should be the one to put the Band-Aid on their injury. If you treat people well, they will be more likely to value you and know that you are an admirable person. Treating people with dignity makes me feel good inside, as though I have done a superb deed. I know that my siblings are there, through the tough times and the happy times, and they will always catch me when I fall. But, if I do not treat them with the same respect that I would like, they may not be there for me when I need them. Nobody is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes. But it is our job to forgive others when they make mistakes, because you know that you would want them to do the same thing when you make a misstep. We need to move on from conflicts and take care of the people that we care about, since we would like the same thing to happen in return. There is a saying that “we hurt the ones that we love.” I believe that this is true because we take for granted that they will always love and forgive us every single time. In the end, we do not get to choose our family, but we do get to choose how we treat them.