human rights

Zach - USA

Human Rights

In the 1800’s, slavery conquered the lives of blacks and whites. White families with lots of farmland would buy slaves for sums of money. This was a very dark time in our history that all people regret. One of my beliefs is that human rights should be protected.

In the 1800’s blacks had to immigrate from Africa to the United States. Many of these blacks would be traded, or sold, into slavery. In the southern states of the thirteen colonies is where most slaves were traded and sold. After they were traded and sold they were put to hard work and labor, usually in farm fields picking wheat or other crops to gather for food. The slaves were not paid to do this hard labor and they were also treated very badly. Such as, if one of the slaves did not follow the rules they would be whipped or sent into harsh punishment. Another group of people that came a little later were the Italians. This wave of immigrants came in the 40’s when money was scarce. They came over to America because their country was going through a potato famine. Many of them were forced to take little paying jobs leaving them and their families very poor. Some though came successful, also leaving them in a bad position. This is because many of the Americans blamed them for stealing their jobs and money. This lead to gangs forming such as the “Dead Rabbits”. A recent movie called “Gangs of New York shows the harsh life of an Italian gang member that tries to find the man that killed his father.

Another thing that I believe in that tie along with my other belief is that history repeats itself. Here are some ways that it does repeat itself. One major and obvious way is the great depression. The Great Depression started around the late1930’s and early 40’s. This is when all big companies were not making enough money to keep running so they were forced to shut down. That left families without income thus them becoming broke. The same thing is happening to us today. The current economy is losing businesses left and right they are losing money and customers. This is forcing them to shut down and having fewer jobs for America.

This all ties together because history proves that anything can repeat. So, what could happen is that the next wave of immigrants could be treated as though they are slaves even though it is illegal to have them. This next wave of immigrants could most likely be the Middle Eastern people in about twenty years. This could result in violent behavior towards them because many people will be very convinced that they are terrorists because of the Iraq war.