Harmonic Connection

Amanda - Windsor, Colorado

I believe in music. I believe that music can open up a vault of emotions that we as human beings don’t usually feel. Like Ludwig van Beethoven once said, “Music should strike fire from the heart of a man, and bring tears to the eyes of a woman.”

When I listen to music, I get this feeling that I cannot describe. The emotion wells up inside of me and it feels better than one of the happiest days of my life. That feeling from music takes away all of my worries. When I take the time to sit down and press play, I go into my own world where no one can step into it but me. Even if that feeling only lasts for a short moment, it gives me joy knowing I have a place that I can escape to.

Certain types of music appeal to me. I like listening to rock and alternative. Even though people make fun of me, I tell them I love listening to classical music. I remember my first music concert. I was in third grade and my class was going to go see the Los Angeles Symphony. Everyone was moaning and groaning because they didn’t want to go listen to classical music on a field trip day. I remember feeling secretly inside; I wanted to go more than anyone else. When the symphony played that first note, it was the first time I had felt the indescribable feeling I get when I listen to music. By the time the concert was finished, I was speechless. I had never heard anything in my life that was as beautiful. I remember this day because it was the day that sparked my passion towards music. Ever since that concert, I have never gone a day without listening to music.

I believe that humans can communicate in other ways than speaking. People can express their emotions through dancing and music. I believe that music is the harmonic connection between all human beings. Music is what brings us together without words. It helps us forget our differences and to like each other for who we are. Music will keep all of us together through hard times and it will help us look at the better things in life. I believe that music can affect anyone, whether that be emotional or physical. I believe in music.