Real Besuty is more than Skin Deep

Hannah - Fort Collins, Colorado

How would you define real beauty? We live in a world where real beauty is only on the outside. I am fourteen years old and Ifind myself looking through magazines and photographs of people trying to sell products. Why do I even bother? This really makes me feel guilty and unwanted, because I am not exactly like them. I live in a world where the only thing that matters is what I look like?

I believe that every creature big and small is beautiful. Life was given as an honorable gift. That’s why all life is beautiful. I first began to see this through my little brother Adam.

Have you ever been so blessed beyond comprehension, a feeling of sincere astonishment? That is exactly how I felt the first time that I saw that baby. My heart completely dropped. I knew that he was meant for us. Something just clicked in my mind. We received monthly pamphlets from an adoption agency, where we had made a previous adoption. You don’t expect your life to change in one moment. We looked through it and saw on the back cover this little baby. He only had one eye, one ear, and one part of his nose. Our immediate reaction was to pick up the phone and call the agency. My mom asked if anyone had called for him. We thought that there was a list of people, just waiting for a phone call to make him part of their family. It turned out there wasn’t. No one ever wanted a baby like him. We didn’t know why. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. That is the same day we made a decision to welcome him into our family.

My mom had traveled to Korea to pick him up because they thought that she would take one look at him and leave empty handed. My mom would never do that. She knew deep down in her heart that he was going to be great. She was amazed.

We decided to call him Adam. Adam came into our lives on October 29, 2001. It was a very happy and exciting day. My mom walked through the door with him sleeping in his car seat. I laid my eyes on that sweet and beautiful boy amazed at his sight. I was so appreciative that we got that baby to take care of and keep.

Why should one pretty face have to define who the rest of the world is? I believe that our looks should not matter; there is not two of the same person. I believe that people should block out bad thoughts of a person and focus on their min, not their looks.

Adam totally ignores them he is happy one hundred percent of the time. He has been through real pain, but he is still grateful for every moment he has. When he sees someone pointing or laughing, he blocks that out and creates a big smile. He is a brave little guy. It doesn’t matter what people say because he knows exactly who he is. He is my hero.

I believe that everyone is beautiful. Everyone has a purpose on this earth. We should shine to our full potential. Beautiful is no longer outside. I believe that beautiful is inside.