Acts of Kindness

Britta - Fort Collins, Colorado

“In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.” This quote by Flora Edwards shows how much we can benefit everyone just by giving out that helping hand. I believe in helping others.

I believe in taking an extra step at the charity walk because that dollar might help save a life or helping the woman walk across the street in the snow just might make a safe, happy Christmas for her. Staying out in the cold an extra thirty minutes to shovel an elderly neighbor’s driveway might make her day just a little bit brighter or giving that quarter in your pocket to the bell ringer at the grocery store might brighten his day because he knows what it feels like to rely on Salvation Army.

I believe in small acts of kindness. One day at the grocery store, my mom and I saw this elderly man slowly walking down the aisle with his wife’s grocery list in hand. He was squinting so hard at all the different chips trying to find the specific one on the list. My mom and I stopped and asked if he needed some help. Right away, his face brightened and he smiled. Then, he said, “Well as a matter of fact I do,” and he pointed to the name on the list. My mom and I found him his Cape Cod Reduced Fat potato chips and asked him if he needed some more help. He told us he was just fine and gratefully thanked us for our help. To him our small act of kindness went a long way.

Making a good lasting impression can change someone’s day or life and it can change yours too. That feeling you gave that person sticks with you for life and creates a passion to help others. You don’t have to become Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. or even Oprah. You don’t have to change the world and save all of Africa, but you can make a change for that sick neighbor across the street or the elderly woman down the block. I believe in helping others.