Impossible is Nothing

Jake - 80528, Colorado

Impossible is nothing. Think about it. Those three words could change anyone’s life. When my first swim coach told me that saying, I used to think how stupid and cheesy. But you have to know that I was only 8. Now I hear it and think of all my goals, my life and the swimming career I hope and will achieve.

To use this saying, you have to be a positive person. No saying, “This is too hard, I can’t do this.” Those words are not okay. You have to believe in yourself and know that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. But think again. Some people think that in let’s say swimming, it takes muscle and natural talent. The natural talent part, I’m thankful to have. Swimming does take both of those but mostly a mental attitude.

When I first realized what this quote really meant to me, I was about 12 years old. That was when I first decided I wanted to go to the Olympics. It was when a few advanced swimmers traveled to a very competitive swim meet in Texas. I swam my best and got a couple swimming cuts for greater and bigger meets. I realized through all the hard workouts and sacrifices, I can do anything. And impossible is nothing.

It wasn’t simple and easy to get to that point. Like I said, our workouts were not fun and games. I struggled with making friends because I had to go to practice every day and couldn’t afford to miss one to hang out with kids. But it soon was all worth it. I mean, impossible is nothing.

Making certain swimming cuts was possible. No matter what people said. That reminds me of a time when a teammate of mine told me I wasn’t going to go far in swimming. I’m not going to lie, I was upset but I realized they were wrong and I used all those negative comments and fueled myself with them. Now no one could stop me in the pursuit of my goals.

Impossible is nothing. Today I am working for my goals. Junior Nationals, Nationals, Olympic team. Even school goals, like a 4.0 GPA. You too can make your dreams come true.

Impossible is nothing. Three words that to me mean never give up and go everywhere you want to go in life, until you can’t go any farther.