I believe in opportunity

Eric - Maple Hts., Ohio

This I Believe:

I believe in opportunity.

I believe that I can truly tell my sons to achieve to the heights of their imaginations.

I believe that I am no longer bound by the words, “You could be…” but fall short of the Presidency.

I believe that I can produce a visual example with a story of achievement for every facet of my sons’ “When I grow up” dreams.

I believe that I, who used the story of my God Mother on her knees drinking from a “Black Only” water fountain on the side of a general store dressed in her Sunday white dress to fuel my thirst for achievement, can tell my sons that same story and then say, “But on November 4, 2008, America showed that a Black Man can be elected President.”

I believe that now my children and my children’s children have a complete American story ranging from Slave Quarters to the White House.

I believe that no matter Obama’s Presidential legacy my sons can always say, “At least I can be President.”

But I also believe that this is not America’s final bow.

I believe that my niece one day will have that same role model my sons now enjoy.

I believe one day I will say, “See Ne-Ne, you too have no limits.”

Until that day comes, I believe with full confidence that I can say, “Denise, you too can be President of the United States.” Just as her race is no longer a factor, her gender will no longer limit her opportunities to achieve her goals.