Education-not always intellect

Aileen - seattle, Washington

Starting at a young age I have had what I thought were rules pushed upon me. Now that I am older I see that these “rules –think about others before yourself, think before you act, have a grateful imndset, sit up straight, and be respectful towards your elders- are not merely limitations but the values that shape me. To me this is the most important education I have received.

I have always been a good student- focused, determined, and willing to learn. My middle school years were probably some of the most self-shaping years of my life. I had great friends who I had a blast with all the time. And school work was not a challenge. But having teachers tell me what to think instead of how to think? That was what I struggled with. Also seeing my peers participate in things that I did not think was right put me at a crossroads.

This was when I had to resort to my home- grown values to keep me on the right path. While at the same time, focus o n my education at school. Coming back to my roots and values that I was taught at home gave me a sense of ownership of how to relate with people and how I view the world. I chose not to partake in things that were against my morals. Seeing people around me today struggle with respect for themselves and respect for others made me think; if everyone was raised in a loving supportive, educating family how different would the world be today?

believe in, of course education. But some may ask what education is. Is it knowledge based on fact or is it fact based on knowledge? I believe education is not just intellect, but that it stretched beyond what you learn in school, delving into how you relate with people, the values you live by and how you view the world around you.

“A child educated only at school is an uneducated child”

-George Santanya