You Had Me at ‘Yes, We Can’

Quan - Freehold, New Jersey

You live your life as an underdog for 27 years. You realize things are just never going to go your way. You give up. You settle. You accept reality for what it is. But in the midst of your beleaguered life, something miraculous happens. You begin to hope. You begin to feel the energy of the atmosphere change. You begin to crave and desire beyond human ability.

At first, you are cautious. This newness does not develop overnight. It is gradual and slow. It builds up at an almost excruciating pace. You can taste it. You can almost feel it. And when it is pronounced and becomes everything you wish it to be, it comes out like a joy unknown before. It rolls out your eyes. It shudders within your body. It heaves your shoulders. I felt this. I sobbed till my happiness knew nowhere else to go. You became the harbinger of a new season. You became the promise of change.

Whatever it may bring, I take this change and embrace it. I believe in the mission you have set forth. I believe that you will be the one to make these United States of America something it has failed to be in the last eight years. You are that one thing that I have been craving for the last 27 years. You are my voice, my eyes, and ears. Take what my people, the youth minority, have given you and cherish it with great pride. I give it willingly because I am no longer the underdog. I am no longer complacent. I see beyond the present and feel the warmth of the very bright future.

Welcome to your new post, Mr. President.