The Trust of a Loving and Faithful Companion

Ashley - Poquoson, Virginia

The Trust of a Faithful and Loving Companion

I believe in the care and guardianship of animals. This past summer I realized how important

this is to our pets. During the blistering month of August, I lost one of my closest and most

faithful companions. It is a day that remains hard to forget. About a week prior to my cats

upcoming veterinarian appointment, we noticed an unusual growth in her bottom jaw.

As days went by, we realized it was getting bigger and bigger. It was the weekend, and

unfortunately, the vet office was closed. Luckily, however, our veterinarian was my best friend’s

dad, so we gave him a concerning phone call. When we described the unnatural growth to him,

he said that it was probably not a big deal, and could wait until our appointment on Monday.

This brought us a sigh of relief. We trusted his professional opinion. Although it looked serious

to me, if he said it was ok, than he was probably right.

When it came time for her appointment the next day, we had a difficult time getting her into

the cat carrier. She was a very skittish cat, and knew the cat carrier meant trouble. As soon as we

got her into the carrier, I noticed blood on her mouth and paw. I figured all the excitement caused

her to bite down on the growth. My parents did not seem worried, but I was very concerned.

They said we were on our way to the hospital, and the vet will fix it as soon as we get there. On

the way to the animal hospital, I sat in the back of the truck with her to keep her company. I

figured the bleeding would stop, but it only got worse. I was constantly trying to wipe off her

mouth and the cat carrier. I did not know what to do or how much to be worried. All I knew was

that I was scared and she was too. I sat there and continued to pet her and try to calm her down. I

will never forget her eyes. She was staring up at me with fear and complete trust. She trusted that

I would take care of her. It was at that moment that I promised her I would not let anything

happen to her.

We reached the animal hospital, and I rushed in to get some help. They immediately took her

into the back to see what was wrong. I did not like leaving her. I knew she was afraid and I

wanted to stay by her side. The next thirty minutes happened so quickly, that it seemed like a

blur. The vet came in and explained that she had mouth cancer. Our only options were to put her

to sleep or send her to a center in North Carolina to have her lower jaw removed. He said we had

only thirty minutes to make our decision or else she would bleed to death. My heart nearly

stopped. I could not figure out how this was happening. I never realized that this would end up a

life-altering decision. How can you decide whether to let one of your loving friends and

companions live or die? Luckily, God took over and made the decision for us. She passed away

within twenty minutes of us finding out the news of her cancer. Even though I was glad her pain

and suffering was over with, I felt like I had let her down. I promised her I would not let

anything happen to her, and that promise was broken.

Although it remains one of the most traumatic days of my life, it made me realize how

important caring for an animal really is. Animals put complete faith and assurance in us. We

share a special bond with them, and through this bond they learn to trust us. Through our

love and affection they learn to feel safe around us. They are completely helpless and know that

we will protect them from harm. That is why I believe in the care and guardianship shown to our

pets. They hope that we will love and care for them, and at times help them when in anguish.