Sharing Beliefs Sharing the World

Kevin - Richmond, Virginia

I believe that despite differences of religion, morals, and beliefs, we all share this world together and should therefore love each other. We may be compared to a household with several children. We might not agree with each other, but we are still have to live together under the same roof. We play with the same toys and swim in the same pool despite our different beliefs. We therefore grow to love each and put these differences aside.

My brother and I share an apartment together. He’s an atheist and I’m a strong Roman Catholic. Our beliefs differ in not only religion but views on life as well. He believes in a enjoy life while you can and not care about anything philosophy. However I take things more seriously. Either way, we put our differences aside and look at what we have in common. We share ideas and discuss issues but never let it go as far as argumentation.

Throughout my life I have had several friends who have had different beliefs than me. My friend Nhi is a buddhist who believes personally in a no-worry life. However I still have lunch with her and drive with her. My other friend Ben is a Protestant, who’s beliefs differ from mine in such ways as not believing in the Pope. However he is my best friend and has been since birth. Furthermore our political beliefs conflict with his being democratic and mine being conservative. Despite these differences and many more we still are great friends because we put them again and look at the positive aspects of the other.

If the world would then just imitate this then would the world not be a better place. Catholics and Muslims have begun talks in Vatican City to battle the tensions between the two. However the entire world, with all of its religions, political systems, and personal beliefs, put these differences aside then the world would be better. I realize that my friends have different beliefs than me, they conduct their lives differently than me. But I also realize that I share this world with other people who have other beliefs like a child in a house with other siblings. We are not the same, and we are not supposed to be, but we still share this world together. Therefore we should all love each other, put aside our differences, our politics and religion, and grow together to live in peace.